I give you this recipe, Guiness Chocolate Cake, just in case you have a spare Guiness in the refrigerator that you’re not dealing with properly!!!
This is not my recipe. It’s the recipe of Gary Rhodes, a British Chef who creates simple, yet delicious recipes.
Chocolate and beer, mixed together to make a cake in bundt cake form. Again, my fellow teachers enjoyed the fruits of my labor with their Monday morning coffee.
Several of them asked me, “Is there really Guiness in the cake?” For sure!
Chocolate Stout Cake
by Gary Rhodes
- Butter and flour a 10 inch cake tin or a bundt pan
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees
8 oz. butter
12 oz. soft brown sugar
4 large eggs, whisked
- Beat butter until light
- Add brown sugar and beat about 2 minutes
- Add eggs, one at a time
- Scrape the sides of the bowl after each egg
4 oz. cocoa
400 ml. stout
- Mix together
8 oz. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
- Add to the cocoa & stout mixture
- Slowly stir the flour & stout mixture into butter mixture (mixture will be wet and loose)
- Bake for 60-90 minutes, or about 45 minutes in bundt pan
- Top with chocolate sauce
6 oz. of milk chocolate, finely chopped
3 oz. cream
Scald the cream over low to medium heat. Once the edges start to bubble, turn off the heat and add the chocolate. Give the mixture a quick stir and let sit for a minute. Stir until the chocolate melts. Let the chocolate mixture sit for 10 minutes until you glaze the cake. It will firm up a bit, leaving more glaze for the cake and less for the pan underneath.